Town slip out of of League Cup after fight
League Cup 1st Round Tuesday, September 5 Northampton Spencer 2 Huntingdon Town 1 HUNTINGDON Town put up a good fight but slipped out of the cup to Premier League leaders Northampton Spencer. Town abandoned their usual 3-5-2 formation in favour of a more
League Cup 1st Round
Tuesday, September 5
Northampton Spencer 2 Huntingdon Town 1
HUNTINGDON Town put up a good fight but slipped out of the cup to Premier League leaders Northampton Spencer.
You may also want to watch:
Town abandoned their usual 3-5-2 formation in favour of a more defensive 4-5-1 set up and Spencer were frustrated for 70 minutes as they struggled to break through.
Peterborough United loanee Alan Haine looked impressive on the left for Town and Luke Weston ran hard on his own up front.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Despite their endeavours Town conceded after 71 minutes through a free kick from Zac Nedimovic and then a scrambled goal from a corner on 80 minutes extended Spencer's lead.
Billy Tumblety netted a late penalty for Town as they pushed forward in search of an equaliser but it was not to be.
Huntingdon manager Paul Swannell said: "They enjoyed a lot of possession but we set out to stifle them and that's what we did.
"To lose 2-1 against the leaders of the division above us is a great effort and I'm very pleased with the performance.