Town put up good fight
UCL Division One Daventry Town 3 Huntingdon Town 1 RUNAWAY league leaders Daventry extended their winning run to 19 games but not without a fight from valiant Huntingdon. Only two lapses in defence and a dubious penalty prevented the visitors pulling off
UCL Division One
Daventry Town 3 Huntingdon Town 1
RUNAWAY league leaders Daventry extended their winning run to 19 games but not without a fight from valiant Huntingdon.
Only two lapses in defence and a dubious penalty prevented the visitors pulling off a shock and manager Darren Young was full of praise for his side.
You may also want to watch:
"We had to make wholesale changes today because of injuries and non-availability," he said. "We had two 18-year-olds on the pitch and a reserve striker up front but we turned in a really good performance."
The hosts exerted all the early pressure and Town looked to have weathered the storm but a lapse on 12 minutes allowed Tom Berwick to score.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
Young's men hit back and fully deserved the penalty that was awarded when Lee Bassett was felled in the area - Chris Caswell added to his season's tally by smashing home.
The visitors continued to pressure the hosts, but another lapse just before half-time allowed Paul Saunders space to put the home side back in the lead.
Huntingdon laid siege to Daventry's goal in the second half but neither Richard Moore, Bassett, Caswell or Eddie Mills could find the net and the hosts made the game safe on 83 minutes when Berwick converted a disputed penalty from the spot.
* Huntingdon were due to face Ely City in the Hunts Premier Cup as The Hunts Post went to press. Northampton Sileby Rangers are Saturday's visitors.