Top young talent Katherine bidding for England place
- Credit: Archant
Hot Huntingdonshire cricketing prospect Katherine Speed has been handed the chance to battle for a place in an England squad.
The 13 year-old, from Houghton & Wyton, is one of 39 girls from across the country to be selected for a England Women’s Development Programme summer competition to held at Shrewsbury School between August 10 and 14.
St Ivo School pupil Speed will play in a number of Twenty20 and 40-over matches during the five-day camp before the number of players is whittled down to 21 to form the England Under 15 Women’s winter training squad.
The all-rounder is making rapid progress in the game. She trains regularly with Essex and has impressed England selectors at a number of talent days.
She said: “I’m really excited to be given the opportunity of joining the England squad for the week.
“I just love playing cricket and I really can’t wait.
“I have had great support to get to this stage from Hunts and Essex and of course Houghton & Wyton at club level. Everyone has helped to support me in any way they can.”
- 1 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 10 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
Another local girl, Adelaide Walkling of Eaton Socon, is on stand-by for the event after taking part last year.
Speed has a hectic few weeks ahead as she has also been selected for a national Under 13 Girls representative side to take part in the annual Malvern Festival over the weekend of August 5/6.
Speed will be up against considerably older opponents with the Under 13 select side - picked through nominations from coaches at county level - due to face Under 17 county teams.
A blossoming female talent also impressed at local senior level at the weekend.
Emilee Steel, who has been a team-mate of Speed in the Hunts Under 15 side, took four wickets to help Needingworth 2nds to a vital victory in Division Four North of the Mr Cricket Cambs Junior League.
Steel claimed 4-35 from 10 overs to help secure a two-wicket win over City of Ely 2nds for a Needingworth side battling to avoid relegation.