DARTS: Salerno scoops singles honours while Horseshoe duo prove to be the pick of the pairs
- Credit: Archant
Joe Salerno saw off plenty of tough competition to take the Ron Gridley Singles honours.
The RAFA Club A thrower beat Horseshoe rival Ryan Tharby in the final of the Eynesbury & St Neots League competition recently.
A total of 49 players took to the oche and produced some terrific darts with eight different league teams being represented at the quarter-final stage.
Di Nash (Con Club) beat Kelv Maddy (Cambs Hunter A) before Salerno saw off Jay Brittain (Bull’s Head A). Tharby pipped Dan Giddings (Old Sun B) before Paul Bailey completed the semi-final line-up with victory against Dave Clarkson (Hare & Hounds A).
Salerno beat Nash and Tharby overcame Bailey in the last four with Salerno then triumphing in the showpiece clash.
But Tharby soon gained compensation when teaming up with Horseshoe team-mate Michael Kingsbury to win the League Pairs for the Blunham pub.
They beat Hyde Park pair Granville Reed and Pete Benevento 3-0 in the final of an event which attracted an entry of 29 pairs.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 6 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 7 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 8 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Salerno and RAFA A partner John Peplow were beaten by the victorious Tharby and Kingsbury in the semi-finals. Reed and Benevento came from 2-0 down to see off ERFC duo Martyn Moore and Mark Holland in the other last-four clash.
The beaten quarter-finalists were Liz Humphries/Nick Bunn (Con Club), Paul Caunt/Paul Yeoman (Con Club), Lee Rose/Maddy (Cambs Hunter A) and Brittain/Adam Montaro (Bull’s Head A).