Top Irish trainer sets sights on big Listed prize at Huntingdon Racecourse
- Credit: Archant
Champion Irish trainer Willie Mullins is ready to swoop for a big Huntingdon Racecourse prize on Thursday.
Mullins is set to run Cheltenham Festival entry Gitane Du Berlais in the £30,000 Lady Protectress Mares’ Chase.
He is responsible for one of 10 entries for the two-and-a-half mile contest which provides the highlight of a six-race card.
Mullins had his first-ever runners at the local track on Peterborough Chase Day a couple of months ago when Screaming Rose and Snag List competed in a Listed mares bumper.
General manager Sian Williams said: “We’re looking forward to a great day’s racing on Thursday and it is a delight once again to have visitors from Ireland who will of course receive a very warm Huntingdonshire welcome.”
You may also want to watch:
The Lady Protectress event is the second Listed race at Huntingdon in a fortnight after Ma Du Fou (for trainer Warren Greatrex and jockey Gavin Sheehan) won the Sidney Banks Memorial Novices Hurdle at the last meeting.
The ground at Huntingdon is soft, with good-to-soft patches on the hurdles course.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Tickets are £13.50 for adults in advance and £15 on the day for the Main Enclosure. Accompanied children go free.