A TALENTED teenager has been denied the chance to play in the prestigious Bunbury Cricket Festival because of an admin blunder. Eaton Socon star Jon Carpetner, 15, was looking forward to competing in a trial match for the Midland Region on Sunday, but was
A TALENTED teenager has been denied the chance to play in the prestigious Bunbury Cricket Festival because of an admin blunder.
Eaton Socon star Jon Carpetner, 15, was looking forward to competing in a trial match for the Midland Region on Sunday, but was not allowed to play after it was discovered Huntingdonshire cricketers should trial in the South Region.
A change in the rules led to a mix-up between the Hunts Cricket Board and the regional branches of the England and Wales Cricket Board.
Tony Reedman, chairman of Eaton Socon CC, told The Hunts Post: "Everyone at the club is amazed and totally disillusioned that a young player can be treated in this way. "We go out of our way to produce young cricketers with the right attitude and then this happens, surely common sense should over-ride an administration cock-up of this magnitude."
Carpenter, who was named The Hunts Post's player of the month for May, has been tearing apart adult batsmen and bowlers in this season's local cricket scene.
He was asked to attend a trials game by ECB Midlands officials after impressing at the Leicestershire Academy through the winter.
However, on Friday evening, Carpenter was contacted by the ECB Midlands informing him he had been 'de-selected' because Huntingdonshire was no longer included in the Midlands Region and now sits in the London/East Region.
ECB Midlands performance manager Steve Seligmann said: "An administration error allowed Jon Carpenter to be nominated in the Midlands trial game squad when he should have been in the London/East."
Phil Evans, who manages the South U15 side, confirmed he was aware of the situation and that he had seen Jon play earlier this year but that no nomination was received from Hunts Cricket Board.
HCB chairman David Holmes, who was unaware of the problem until late on Friday, told The Hunts Post he had been trying to contact ECB and English Schools Cricket Association (ESCA) officials without success.
He said: "We were made aware that Huntingdonshire was to be moved into the London/East group for young player development/match selection some time ago.
"We were told that this would take place from September 2008. The board then received nomination forms for players into this year's Midlands group which was no different to requests in previous years.
"Jon was one of a number of players nominated at various ages and has been allowed to progress to the final selection stage by the Midlands selectors.
"The County Board are shocked at what has happened to one of our young cricketer's as the main aim has always been to give youngsters in this area every chance of progression.
"We are seeking a full explanation and hope we can resolve the matter with the young players' best interests at heart."
n Carpenter made 77* and took 4-34 for Eaton Socon on Friday night in the East Beds Shield. See Page 118.