Tommy Martin relaxes after winning his first Masters title against Michael Mooney at The Troxy
- Credit: Archant
Tommy ‘Da Gun’ Martin won his first title fight when he beat Michael ‘Mad Man’ Mooney at The Troxy, Limehouse, in London on Saturday.
Supported by more than 200 of his ‘Team Gun’ devotees, the St Neots boxer coasted through his ninth professional fight, which was top of a bill of 11 bouts, for the British Masters Welterweight Bronze title. There was a late cancellation by Ashley Mayall, who Martin was originally lined up to fight, just days beforehand – but the new opponent was no match for the Hunts fighter.
“It all changed just a couple of days before the fight,” said the 20-year-old, now back at home in St Neots, nursing a sore hand. “All I knew about Mooney was that I had beat someone in sparring who had beaten him in the ring, so I went into the fight full of confidence.”
It was Martin’s first eight-round fight but he was scored ahead of his 28-year-old opponent in seven of them for a 80-73 points victory.
But he didn’t come through the bout completely unscathed and was in hospital having X-rays on his left hand until the early hours of Monday morning. “The hospital said it was from where I had hit him so many times – from the impact. I haven’t broken it but there is some tissue damage so I have been told I am not allowed to punch anything to two weeks.
You may also want to watch:
“So my short-term plan is spend some time with my family and friends, pick up a Porsche from my sponsors Junction 17 Cars, and enjoy myself.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip