Tommy Martin is ready to step up to six rounds in his fourth professional fight
- Credit: Archant
ST Neots teenager Tommy Martin hopes to be matched with a tough opponent in London next month.
Martin plans to step up a level to six-round bouts in just his fourth professional fight in Bethnal Green on Saturday, July 27.
He came through a good test in March when he outpointed hard-as-nails boxer Andrew Harris and the 19 year-old lightweight now says: “I want tough fights. People expect me to have whitewashes at this stage of my career, but I don’t want that and I don’t think the fans want to see that either. I want to keep pushing forward, getting rounds under my belt and the better the fighters I beat now, the quicker I will get into title contention. By the time I’m 21, I want to be fighting for titles.”
Martin’s boxing ambitions have been handed a massive boost by sponsors Autovia. The Peterborough-based company are sponsoring him and Martin said: “It’s a massive help. I can box two or three times every day without having to worry about work. I can concentrate on boxing full time.”
Martin has had top-class sparring at manager Johnny Eames’s gym in Canning Town with unbeaten prospects such as Billy Morgan – and he plans to stay in the gym over the summer.
You may also want to watch:
The professional boxing season takes a break in August but Martin said: “I will still be going to the gym at least three times every week throughout the summer.
“I want to be prepared for the new season when it starts in September. It’s going to be a big season for me.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
Martin has proved to be popular with fights fans and is expected to take around 250 supporters to Bethnal Green. A bus from St Neots is available for £10 return and tickets for the fight are available from 07809 246986 and www.tommydagunmartin.co.uk