Tommy ‘Da Gun’ Martin gets a huge boost ahead of his big fight on Saturday
- Credit: Archant
Tommy ‘Da Gun’ Martin won’t get much time to rest after his big fight in Peterborough on Saturday – because the St Neots boxer has been asked by legend Barry McGuigan to spar with Northern Ireland’s 27-year-old hot prospect Carl Frampton.
Martin got the call from the former world title holder McGuigan, who is Frampton’s manager, on Tuesday, while he was in London preparing for his seventh professional fight. On Saturday he will take on Newcastle’s Dougie Curran at The Creset on a bill sponsored by Junction 17 Cars and Vic’s Gym. The 19-year-old lightweight told The Hunts Post: “It’s going really well. I have had some top quality sparring and it’s all about being ready.”
Curran, 25, has lost his last four fights – but the boxer is no journeyman and presents a clear danger to Martin’s 100 per cent record. “He’s a good test, he’s a British Master, and just the kind of challenge I wanted.
“This is my first six round fight and I hope to wear him down and make him walk on to something.
“This kid comes to fight – he is very aggressive and I hope he is too brave for his own good. I hope to put it on him and get him out in the fifth or sixth round.
You may also want to watch:
“I have sold all 200 of my tickets so I expect my Team Gun fans to be in full voice on the night. It will be a brilliant show for them and I will rise to the occasion.”
Martin will take a couple of days off after the fight before linking up with Frampton, possibly in Ireland. “It’s an exciting opportunity for me,” he added.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal