Tom Meechan has 50-goal target in his sights for Godmanchester Rovers
- Credit: Archant
Godmanchester co-boss Neville Nania is confident hot-shot Tom Meechan can reach a half-century of goals to help the team secure runners-up spot in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Meechan took his impressive tally to 44 with a hat-trick on Saturday as Rovers strengthened their grip on second place by sinking Ipswich Wanderers 5-1 at Bearscroft Lane.
It was a welcome return to form for a team who had lost a top-of-the-table showdown against Norwich United and suffered extra-time heartache in the semi-finals of the League Challenge Cup, when losing 4-2 at Walsham-le-Willows, in the previous few days.
Nania said: “The lads needed to play well and they did. It is an important result which can hopefully help us to nail down second position.
“It was nice to have Tom back among the goals after missing the previous two games with injury.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve got eight league games to go and a county cup final so I don’t think it is unrealistic for him to get to 50 goals for the season from here.”
Jake Knight was the other Godmanchester player to find the net against Ipswich Wanderers with an own goal completing their haul.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
That stemmed from a long throw by new recruit Lewis McDonald, a right-back snapped up from higher-level Histon.