Tolley takes the plaudits
Saints celebrate hugely successful season
THE Hunts Post Community Stadium staged Saints’ end-of-season awards bash on Saturday evening.
More than 150 people packed out the Gregory Suite to toast the most successful season in the club’s 132-year history.
St Neots won the United Counties League, earning promotion to Step 4 – the highest level ever achieved by the club and, as well as the Hunts Senior Club, are also proud holders of EVERY single UCL record.
From oblivion just 24 years ago when the club lost its ground at Shortsands, Saints will almost certainly be kicking off in the Southern League come August.
Striker Shane Tolley took most of the plaudits with two major awards – first team leading scorer as well as the coveted Players’ Player of the Season award.
His staggering 54 goals in all competitions saw him equal Francis Brand’s 42-year club post-war record for goals in a season – and did so in 44 matches compared with Brand’s 46 back in 1968/69.
- 1 New business celebrates its grand opening in St Ives
- 2 Covid sweeps across Cambridgeshire as summer wave takes hold
- 3 Council calls for return to mask wearing as Covid soars
- 4 Huntingdon is 'prime example' of good infrastructure in region
- 5 Steve Barclay becomes Health Secretary following shock resignations
- 6 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 7 Singing group will celebrate its silver jubilee with a concert
- 8 Rikki Neave’s mother calls for tougher sentence for son’s murderer
- 9 Hunts history festival kicked off with a bang!
- 10 St Ivo Dance alumnae stars in Britain's Got Talent, the West End and Comic Relief
There was a double award for reserve team skipper Kevin Ashby and the welcome announcement that boss Dennis Greene had won the UCL Manager of the Season award.
Chairman and owner Mike Kearns also made a number of special presentations to a whole raft of people who had worked so hard behind the scenes – before being presented with a special signed and framed Saints shirt of his own.
FULL LIST OF WINNERS
Players’ Player of the Year - U18: Nick Henebery; Reserves: Kevin Ashby; First team: Shane Tolley.
Supporters’ Player of the Year – U18: Jack Mitchell; Reserves: Kevin Ashby; First team: Lewis Webb.
Managers’ Player of the Season – U18: Aidan McLean; Reserves: Josh Sadler; First team: Dan Jacob.
Leading goalscorers - U18: Liam Wilson (12 in 20 appearances); Reserves: Bryn Williams (13 in 22 apps); First team: Shane Tolley (54 in 44 apps).
Joint Clubperson: Jemma Phillips (St Neots TV editor) and Andy Wilson (official club photographer).