Title-winning star Anton signs on for St Neots Town
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town manager David Batch has completed a deal for a Southern League Premier Division title-winning defender.
Batch has handed former Leicester City youngster Jamie Anton a deal for the 2015/16 season following an impressive trial. Anton was part of the Corby Town squad that claimed Premier Division glory last term.
Batch said: “Jamie has a good background and played a lot of football for the title-winning team at our level last season.
“Players tend to either have potential of the experience of winning things, but in Jamie we get both and that really excites me.
“We now have a group of four-or-five players who are capable of progressing into full-time football over the next couple of years.
You may also want to watch:
“In the meantime we want them to help us progress as a club and there is no reason why that won’t happen.”
Batch has all-but-admitted defeat in his bid to retain the services of another defender, Mat Mitchel-King.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The 31 year-old, who can also operate in midfield, has received a host of offers from higher levels.
Batch added: “We’re still talking to Mat, but I’m not expecting him to return.
“He has been offered the sort of money that I am not prepared to - and don’t have to - compete with. We have plenty of options defensively and in midfield.”
St Neots entertain League Two side Stevenage at the newly-named Premier Plus Stadium in a friendly tonight (7.45pm).