Title fight for Tyler Goodjohn as he attempts to become English champion again
- Credit: Archant
St Ives fighter Tyler Goodjohn has been handed the opportunity to become a two-weight English champion.
Goodjohn will face Johnny Garton for the vacant welterweight crown at the York Hall in London on March 19 in only his second fight since stepping up a division.
The 24 year-old, who boxes under the St Ives Boxing Academy banner, is a former English light-welterweight champion. He has won 12 of his 16 professional outings while Garton, from Peckham, has won 16 of his 18 outings.
And Goodjohn’s trainer Steve Whitwell reckons it has the makings of a classic battle.
He said: “It has the makings of a very tough and very exciting fight for Tyler.
You may also want to watch:
“They are both very aggressive fighters although we are focusing hard on getting Tyler boxing rather than being drawn into a brawl.”
Fellow St Ives Boxing Academy man Karl Wheeler’s cruiserweight clash on the same bill is now for the British Challenger title.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home