WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: St Ives complete terrific comeback and dedicate cup success to injured defender
- Credit: Archant
Tierney Coulson came to the ‘four’ as St Ives Town Ladies triumphed in a thriller last Sunday.
Darren Marjoram’s side mounted a stirring comeback to prevail 5-4 at Hoddesdon Town Owls in the second round of the Eastern Region Women’s League Cup.
It was a rousing revival completed by a last-gasp winner from Coulson, who enjoyed a day to remember in front of goal as she scored twice in each half.
But it proved to be a painful afternoon for another Saints player. Ellie Brown was taken to hospital after suffering a dislocated jaw just before half-time in the move in which the home side went 3-2 up.
Saints’ arrears increased early in the second half, but they weren’t about to wave the white flag.
Coulson completed her hat-trick with a fierce shot before Georgia Stancombe levelled from the penalty spot with 10 minutes to go.
Then, with extra-time looming, Coulson settled the clash by smashing a fine finish into the roof of the net after Sophie Marjoram forced a mistake from the Hoddesdon defence.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 4 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 5 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 6 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 9 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 10 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
“We all wanted to win the game for Ellie after losing her to injury and it was great to be able to do that,” said boss Marjoram.
“It looked very unlikely when we went 4-2 down just after half-time, but huge credit goes to the players for continuing to believe they could fight back.”
Saints will aim to continue their unbeaten Division One start when hosting strugglers Hatfield Peverel this Sunday.