Three important wins and a precious point make it a happy Saturday for Huntingdonshire sides

Alex Marsh in action for Eynesbury Rovers in their victory against Kirby Muxloe. Picture: HELEN DRAK

Alex Marsh in action for Eynesbury Rovers in their victory against Kirby Muxloe. Picture: HELEN DRAKE - Credit: Archant

It was a fine afternoon for the non-league football teams of Huntingdonshire.

Title, play-off and top-six challenges were all boosted by victories while a battle to avoid relegation was aided by a pleasing draw.

Godmanchester Rovers remain firmly in the hunt of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division crown after stretching their winning streak to 10 league matches.

They breezed to a 4-0 success against a struggling Thetford side, who were reduced to 10 men following a first-half stamping offence on Micky Hyem.

Recent recruit Luke Brown continued his goal-a-game scoring form with the opener before the break, and further Rovers goals followed in the second period.

Charlie Bowen doubled the advantage, Hyem converted a spot-kick and Taylor Parr also got in on the act.

St Ives Town are enjoying a fine run of their own.

Most Read

Their unbeaten run in Division One (Central) of the Southern League stands at five matches after a solitary Luke Knight goal earned victory over Northwood today.

Skipper Knight struck the only blow after 20 minutes at ProEdge Westwood Road in a success accompanied by a 15th clean sheet of the season.

Ricky Marheineke’s men climbed to fourth in the standings as a result to boost their play-off hopes.

One goal also proved to be enough for Eynesbury Rovers to continue their push for a top-six finish in the United Counties League Premier Division.

Midfield ace Tom Coles provided it in the final minute of the first half as they edged to victory against Kirby Muxloe at Hall Road – leapfrogging the Leicestershire side to climb into fifth spot in the standings in the process.

St Neots Town were the only local team not to triumph, but they collected a valuable point in their pursuit of Southern League Premier Division survival.

Andy Davies’ men drew 1-1 at Kettering after the sides exchanged goals in the space of 60 seconds, early in the second half.

Drew Roberts fired Saints ahead, but their advantage was short-lived on a day when they edged eight points clear of the drop-zone.