Thompson Bowls to victory
ST Ives rider Mark Thomson took a win at the Milton Keynes Bowl Race last week, his first of the season. He and clubmate Andy Wylde broke away from the bunch early on before Wylde, still feeling the effects of last week s Anglo Polymers event, had to fal
ST Ives rider Mark Thomson took a win at the Milton Keynes Bowl Race last week, his first of the season.
He and clubmate Andy Wylde broke away from the bunch early on before Wylde, still feeling the effects of last week's Anglo Polymers event, had to fall back.
Working with a small breakaway group, however, Thomson lapped the pack before holding off the riders with him to take the win.
THE Club also promoted the latest round of the Northampton and District time trial series last week, racing 10 miles over a B1043 course.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Stevens came second in a time of 22 minutes, just ahead of team-mates Neil Houldey in 22:35, and Stephen Butterworth in 24:01, giving St Ives the team win.
Miranda Oberman recorded a personal best time of 26:34, and Terry Cooke picked up valuable veterans points with 27:02.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 7 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
Gary Stevens put in a time of 1hr 58mins 25secs the following day to take fifth place in the Eastern Counties 50-mile time trial.
In the Wednesday evening 10-mile time trial, Neil Houldey had a convincing ride to take the win.
Avril Swan was the fastest lady and Ian Bentley the fastest veteran, beating Chris Penney by two seconds.
Dave Nelson was best on age standard by seven seconds over Terry Cooke.
RESULT: N Houldey 22:59, Colin Whitechurch 24:53, P Davis 24:54, A Swan 24:59, J Batchelor 25:17, AWhitby 25:52, I Bentley 26:05, C Penney 26:07, P Merryweather 26:09, A Bright 26:14, P Veitch 26:33, M Oberman 26:46, N Burns 27:08, D Whitehead 27:14, T Cooke 27:43, D Nelson 29:34, T Ibbett 30:30, Celia Whitechurch 31:14.