Third time lucky as Hunts women earn their first Trophy win of the summer
- Credit: Archant
It was a case of third time lucky for Huntingdonshire’s leading ladies.
The county team collected their first victory in the Donald Steward Trophy when beating Norfolk 124-104 at Hemingford last Tuesday.
It was a welcome success following defeats in their opening two fixtures as they went down 101-131 to Northants and 71-119 to Suffolk.
But they were in much better fettle against Norfolk when easing to victories on three of the five rinks, and drawing another.
Nicky Verlander, Andrea Rose and Val Corn were the successful skippers while Lynda Childs led the trio involved in a deadlock. The sole reverse was suffered by Mary Faux’s rink.
There was no joy for the Hunts team in Silver Jubilee Vase action at St Ives on the same afternoon.
They were pipped 117-119 in a close contest against Norfolk.
- 1 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 2 New bridal shop is childhood dream for Michelle
- 3 Lack of NHS dentists see people resorting to 'Victorian' teeth pulling
- 4 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 5 Petition calls on county council to reject waste incinerator
- 6 Community help plant new trees in St Neots park
- 7 Trainee chef reaches finals of national competition
- 8 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Bakery and baking school opens after Crowdfunding push
A heavy defeat for Dina Barlow’s rink proved decisive in a fixture where Hunts won on two rinks and drew the other two. Sandra Minnett and Pat Porter led the winning sides while Lynne Englebright and Helen Anderson skippered the rinks who shared the spoils.
It was a second successive defeat for Hunts after going down 88-114 to Suffolk in their previous fixture.
The season had started well with an opening 119-94 triumph against Northants.
Hunts were due to host Lincolnshire today (Tuesday) in their next fixtures.
DONALD STEWARD TROPHY
Hunts 124, Norfolk 104
Hunts rinks: Sylvia Armstrong/Daphne Meats/Nicky Verlander won 25-12; Sandra Day/Pauline Whittlesey/Andrea Rose won 29-17; June Blackall/Elizabeth Noble/Val Corn won 29-22; Jane Baldwin/Janet Chapman/Lynda Childs drew 21-21; Joan Rogers/Cynthia Spooner/Mary Faux lost 20-32.
SILVER JUBILEE VASE
Hunts 117, Norfolk 119
Hunts rinks: Rita Hodson/Sandra Deller/Sandra Minnett won 35-19; Angela Kenny/Alison Wilson/Pat Porter won 33-18; EJ Cousins/Karen Brugnoli/Lynne Englebright drew 23-23; Carol Hickey/Jenny Martin/Helen Anderson drew 20-20; Patsy Coles/Linda Levi/Dina Barlow lost 6-39.