They’re gr-eight! St Neots Rowing Club crew shine on the River Thames
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Rowing Club had cause for celebration on the River Thames recently.
Their men’s eight recorded the club’s best finish in the Head of the River Race for 37 years and it was the first time they had ever rowed together.
The St Neots crew - comprising Dom Chapman (club men’s captain), Josh Dexter, Huw Jarman, Max Taylor, Edd Maryon, Tom Dolby, Tim Halliday and Adam Williams, and coxed by Tammy Finnigan - powered across the line in 19 mins, 14.55 secs.
That placed them 66th out of 334 entries and sixth in their intermediate two (IM2) category for clubs not based on the Thames – a much better outcome than anticipated as they had hoped to scrape into the top 100 overall.
The race is staged on the famous four-and-a-quarter-mile Boat Race course and St Neots found themselves up against top clubs from around the country as well as crews from Ireland Germany, Switzerland, China, Portugal, Italy and Poland.
You may also want to watch:
Men’s captain Dom Chapman said: “This was a chance to see where we ranked against our main rivals, as well as some of the top crews in the country. The result shows we’re in the mix. The guys produced a great performance, which puts us in a good position going into the regatta season.”
The fine men’s performance came only a few weeks after their women’s eight impressed in their Head of the River Race on the Thames, finishing 173rd out of 320 crews and fifth in their intermediate category for small clubs.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?