The ones to watch
THESE young athletes from Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club starred at the first ever British School Games in Glasgow. Max Bennett, 13, and Kayleigh Cooke, 15, took part in the event heralded as a Mini Olympics for the four home nations. Gymnastics was one of t
THESE young athletes from Huntingdon Olympic Gym Club starred at the first ever British School Games in Glasgow.
Max Bennett, 13, and Kayleigh Cooke, 15, took part in the event heralded as a Mini Olympics for the four home nations. Gymnastics was one of the five disciplines at the Games which are aimed at helping the UK teams build up to the 2012 Olympics.
The England women's team, comprising Kayleigh and reserve Claire Stock, 13, took the gold medal with Kayleigh claiming the individual bronze medal. The men's team also stormed into first place and the England boys took the four top spots with Max in a commendable fourth place.
Staff at Huntingdon Olympic Gym hailed the performances of both young gymnasts who demonstrated their potential for the future.
You may also want to watch:
Boys' coach Ben Howells was pleased with Max's overall composure and performance and enthused about a "fantastic result" as the club embarks on a three month onslaught of high profile competitions, with fellow club member Luke Folwell preparing for his last World Championships trial.
Head coach at HOGC, Paul Hall said: "This competition shows that our junior boys and girls are following in the tradition of successes and great results and forms the base from which Huntingdon's Olympic hopefuls can spring.
- 1 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home