The Huntingdon Gym Blog
The team has been selected!
After three months of intensive training and control competitions, the Great Britain men’s team for the forthcoming gymnastics World Championship is finally confirmed.
I’m happy to report that Huntingdon’s very own Louis Smith and Daniel Keatings will make the long flight to Japan at the beginning of October, joined by Sam Oldham of Loughborough, Ruslan Panteleymonov of Hinckley, Max Whitlock from South Essex, Dan Purvis from Southport, and Kristian Thomas from Wolverhampton.
They are all charged with one task: to qualify in the top eight teams from 24 Countries, and so guarantee five GB slots for next year’s Olympic Games. Do well guys!
Last week saw a great return to form from Daniel Keatings, who finished second all around at the British Championships in Stoke. He then travelled to France with the GB team for a two-way match that saw them beat the host nation by over two marks. Then a quick dash back across the Channel for the final pre-world preparation event: GB v Spain in Basildon, Essex.
Dan worked superbly over six pieces to take the all around gold medal, with Louis Smith scoring 16.2 for the most difficult pommel horse exercise ever witnessed in international competition.
The stage is now set and all gymnasts have to stay safe and injury free for the final days at the National Sports Centre, before leaving from Heathrow at the end of the month.
- 1 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 4 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 5 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 8 Life would be better without mud says Anne Marie Hamilton
- 9 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 10 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
The next instalment comes from Japan – watch out for the competition on the BBC, second week of October!
Huntingdon Gymnastics Club.