The Huntingdon Gym Blog
The team has been selected!
After three months of intensive training and control competitions, the Great Britain men’s team for the forthcoming gymnastics World Championship is finally confirmed.
I’m happy to report that Huntingdon’s very own Louis Smith and Daniel Keatings will make the long flight to Japan at the beginning of October, joined by Sam Oldham of Loughborough, Ruslan Panteleymonov of Hinckley, Max Whitlock from South Essex, Dan Purvis from Southport, and Kristian Thomas from Wolverhampton.
They are all charged with one task: to qualify in the top eight teams from 24 Countries, and so guarantee five GB slots for next year’s Olympic Games. Do well guys!
Last week saw a great return to form from Daniel Keatings, who finished second all around at the British Championships in Stoke. He then travelled to France with the GB team for a two-way match that saw them beat the host nation by over two marks. Then a quick dash back across the Channel for the final pre-world preparation event: GB v Spain in Basildon, Essex.
You may also want to watch:
Dan worked superbly over six pieces to take the all around gold medal, with Louis Smith scoring 16.2 for the most difficult pommel horse exercise ever witnessed in international competition.
The stage is now set and all gymnasts have to stay safe and injury free for the final days at the National Sports Centre, before leaving from Heathrow at the end of the month.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
The next instalment comes from Japan – watch out for the competition on the BBC, second week of October!
Huntingdon Gymnastics Club.