The future is bright for Godmanchester with an ambitious new club in Town
- Credit: Archant
A new youth football club has been formed in the area.
Godmanchester Town has been created to provide increased opportunities for youngsters and a clear pathway from the colts ranks into the senior game.
The club already boasts five teams for its debut season in 2015/16 and hopes to have strong links with the Godmanchester Rovers senior club.
All Town sides will be based at Bearscroft Lane – the home of the senior outfit. Town chairman Simon Clark is also involved at Rovers as vice-chairman.
He said: “We want to provide more opportunities for children of Godmanchester to play in the town.
You may also want to watch:
“As the town is growing rapidly, we feel there is need for more football provision and that is only going to increase with work starting on the development of 750 homes close to Bearscroft Lane.
“Eventually the hope is that Godmanchester Town will feed into an Academy set-up and we have already started investigating the opportunity to build a firm relationship with the Godmanchester Rovers senior club.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Thousands of families tipped on to universal credit due to Covid-19
“We want to give young footballers a smooth transition and the opportunity to progress into senior football.
“Our intention initially was to start with just one team in the 2015-16 season, but we now have five teams affiliated which we feel is excellent progress so soon. We are hopeful of attracting more teams in the coming years.”
Clark is joined in the Town hierarchy by vice-chairman Richard Cosbey, secretary Tracy Cosbey and treasurer Chris Allan. Like Clark, they are also connected to the senior club.
There is no link between the new Godmanchester Town club and the existing Godmanchester Rovers junior club.