The former Junior Konadu signs on the dotted line at Macclesfield Town
FORMER St Neots Town midfielder Junior Konadu has signed for Blue Square Bet Premier Division side Macclesfield Town – and has changed his name.
Macclesfield, who are managed by Steve King, a good friend of former Saints boss Dennis Greene, announced the signing of the player on their website last week, saying Junior Yiadom would be No16 in the Silkmen’s squad for the coming season.
Konadu – for that’s how we shall refer to him for the purposes of this article – left St Neots before the shock resignation of manager Greene two weeks ago, saying he was looking to break into the professional game. Macclesfield, of course, remain a professional club after dropping out of the Football league at the end of last season.
“I like to take people on and the way the manager likes to play will help me develop,” he told his new club’s website.
“There are a lot of new players here and some very good players too. My first goal is to prove myself at this level and earn a place in the side.”
You may also want to watch:
Konadu might have been hoping for a quick return to Rowley Park but it has been confirmed that the Silkmen will now not be visiting St Neots for their previously scheduled pre-season friendly. It is understood that King’s friendship with Greene is at the route of that change of heart.
Meanwhile, St Neots say they have received 72 applications for the vacant managerial post ahead of their first season in the Premier Division of the Southern League. An announcement on Greene’s successor is expected next week.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 Buckden celebrate first cup win in decades with home-grown squad
A statement on the club’s new website read: “Interim manager Iain Parr has been doing an excellent job of coaching the players back to match fitness.”
St Neots first pre-season friendly is now at home to Ryman Premier League side Concord Rangers on Tuesday, July 17 (7.45pm). The friendly against King’s Lynn Town was also cancelled.