The former Junior Konadu signs on the dotted line at Macclesfield Town
FORMER St Neots Town midfielder Junior Konadu has signed for Blue Square Bet Premier Division side Macclesfield Town – and has changed his name.
Macclesfield, who are managed by Steve King, a good friend of former Saints boss Dennis Greene, announced the signing of the player on their website last week, saying Junior Yiadom would be No16 in the Silkmen’s squad for the coming season.
Konadu – for that’s how we shall refer to him for the purposes of this article – left St Neots before the shock resignation of manager Greene two weeks ago, saying he was looking to break into the professional game. Macclesfield, of course, remain a professional club after dropping out of the Football league at the end of last season.
“I like to take people on and the way the manager likes to play will help me develop,” he told his new club’s website.
“There are a lot of new players here and some very good players too. My first goal is to prove myself at this level and earn a place in the side.”
Konadu might have been hoping for a quick return to Rowley Park but it has been confirmed that the Silkmen will now not be visiting St Neots for their previously scheduled pre-season friendly. It is understood that King’s friendship with Greene is at the route of that change of heart.
Meanwhile, St Neots say they have received 72 applications for the vacant managerial post ahead of their first season in the Premier Division of the Southern League. An announcement on Greene’s successor is expected next week.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
A statement on the club’s new website read: “Interim manager Iain Parr has been doing an excellent job of coaching the players back to match fitness.”
St Neots first pre-season friendly is now at home to Ryman Premier League side Concord Rangers on Tuesday, July 17 (7.45pm). The friendly against King’s Lynn Town was also cancelled.