The Dennis Greene column: Time for players to step up
New St Neots Town manager Dennis Greene speaks exclusively to The Hunts Post
ALTHOUGH pre-season training is all geared towards the first game of the season, there are different stages that you work through.
In the first couple of games we were looking to improve the players’ fitness, and then beginning to work on our shape.
In the past week we’ve started to focus on performance, and went into the games against Farnborough Town and Arlesey Town hopeful of a result. We managed to take two wins from the games, which has made for a good spirit in the squad.
We probably didn’t expect to be so comfortable in the two games, given the strength of the opposition, but it has been encouraging.
You may also want to watch:
This week, though, is the week that the players need to make their case for a first-team spot.
We’ll play four times in eight days, and everyone will get their chance, so it’s up to them to make it count.
- 1 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 4 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
I’ve been impressed with the way the players have adapted to the different formation.
We’ve tried 4-5-1, merging into 4-3-3, and we always have the 4-4-2 that worked so well last season in our back pocket. It’s important to be flexible when you come up against different opposition.
We’ve got a very strong squad of around 18 or 19 players, but only 11 can play at once, so this week will be a big one for the players.
They know we have a good chance of winning the league this season, and they all want to be part of it.
But there’s still a lot of football to be played before we get to that first game.