AMERICAN FOOTBALL: Houghton County Primary School pupils swap the classroom for the NFL Flag Championships in dream Florida trip
- Credit: Archant
A brilliant bunch of Houghton County Primary pupils have enjoyed a school trip with a difference.
The group of 14 children left the classroom behind to fly to Florida and be the first-ever United Kingdom representatives in the NFL Flag Championships.
The sport is a junior version of American football and was staged in Orlando during the NFL Pro Bowl weekend.
The Houghton team - known as the Bears - booked their trip of a lifetime by winning the UK finals at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, in London, last summer.
The Houghton team came up against opponents from America, Germany, China, Mexico and Canada.
You may also want to watch:
They were beaten in their opening three games but ended on a high with a win against German as Michael Adusei scored two touchdowns.
They wore a specially-made United Kingdom kit endorsed by the Chicago Bears. They adopted the same name after being led by Bears' defensive end, Akiem Hicks, at the UK finals.
- 1 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 2 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 3 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 4 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 5 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 6 Plans for Ox-Cam Arc are 'pretty awful'
- 7 Schoolgirl cuts her hair so friend can have a wig
- 8 Nathan’s Go-Fund Me page raises more than £6,000 and family pay tribute
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
The Houghton Bears roster was made up of Luke Page, Isaac Axon-Huckle, Jamie Purdy, Matthew Coggings, Ed Foster, Amy Foster, Felix Cleary, Dylan Skinner, Finlay Winter, Sam Truche-Gordon, Kasie Gray, Michael Adusei, Aiden McDonnell and Tom Blackburn.