Tennis stars are a Wimbledon smash
THREE young tennis players are realising the dream of thousands of hopefuls by playing at the All England Club at Wimbledon. Sarah Bragg, 12, from Huntingdon, Victoria Nicholas, 12, of St Neots and Kristian Wingate, 14, from Spaldwick are among 128 starle
THREE young tennis players are realising the dream of thousands of hopefuls by playing at the All England Club at Wimbledon.
Sarah Bragg, 12, from Huntingdon, Victoria Nicholas, 12, of St Neots and Kristian Wingate, 14, from Spaldwick are among 128 starlets competing in the Road to Wimbledon National 14 and under Challenge.
The trio beat off competition from more than 15,000 players in qualifying tournaments that begun back in April this year to take their places at Wimbledon.
Sixty-four boys and 64 girls will battle it out to get their hands on trophies and the prize of a trip to next year's French Open in Paris.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the tennis, players will be given a guided tour of the famous venue.
Victoria, whose favourite player is Justine Henin-Hardenne, said: "I've been to Wimbledon to watch before but never to play. I've been looking forward to it for ages.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
"I've been playing tennis since I was six and won a club tournament and a county tournament to qualify."
Tournament Director and former British Davis Cup Captain, Paul Hutchins said: "For many players, the chance to play at Wimbledon in this event is the highlight of their tennis careers. Grass court tennis is often new to players these days but everyone will play a minimum of four matches."
The tournament runs this week and culminates in the grand final matches on Saturday.