Teenage Wyboston Lakes golfer comes second in national medal competition
SOPHIE Mills, a 15-year-old golfer from the Wyboston Lakes club, came second in the England Golf Grand Medal final in Worcestershire on Saturday.
The Hinchingbrooke School pupil was only beaten by Dorset golfer Angie Brooke – and will now turn her attention to the England Girls Championships in Chester next month, an altogether tougher prospect, says dad and former professional Stuart Mills.
“I’m a proud dad and caddy,” he told The Hunts Post. “It was Sophie’s second year at the event and she did really well.
“It’s always hard for lower handicappers playing in a medal competition and we went with low expectations – but we were still hoping she could do well and she did.”
The competition, played in a testing, swirling wind, brought together England’s best women club medal players. Each finalist had returned the four best medal scores at their club during 2011 and had won through a regional final to take her place at The Worcestershire Golf Club.
Mills, a Bedfordshire county player, was runner-up on net 73 – and has an outstanding record in this event, having tied second last year, only to lose out on count back. When she first qualified for the 2011 final she was off 16, now she plays off eight. “It was tough out there today, the wind was really difficult, but I was pleased with my score,” she said.
Her father added: “She will now be up against the best girls in the country in Chester.”
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 3 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 6 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape