NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: First goal for striking talent Dylan Wilson secures a second successive St Ives Town triumph

St Ives Town players celebrate their late winner at Lowestoft. Picture: GEMMA THOMPSON

St Ives Town players celebrate their late winner at Lowestoft. Picture: GEMMA THOMPSON - Credit: Archant

Summer signing Dylan Wilson hit a last-gasp goal to earn a dramatic Southern League Premier Division Central success for St Ives Town last night.

The teenage frontman – a prolific figure at a much lower level last season – opened his Saints account with a classy strike from 25 yards as they claimed a 1-0 triumph at Lowestoft.

Ricky Marheineke’s men delivered another defensive masterclass – just as they had done when opening their campaign with another 1-0 victory against title fancies Tamworth last Saturday – before making the late breakthrough.

Boss Marheineke said: “It’s great to start the season with two wins and it was another excellent performance.

“We defended out box exceptionally well and looked capable of causing a threat on the counter attack.

“The priority was to ensure we picked up a point to build on the win against Tamworth, but to get the goal late on was a bonus.

“Dylan’s finish was worthy of winning any game and it is great to see the lads getting the rewards for all the hard work they have put in during the summer.”

Most Read

Both teams created chances in an end-to-end opening half, but neither could find the net.

Teenage loanee Sam Cartwright and Saturday match-winner Munashe Sundire went close for Saints while their goalkeeper Tim Trebes was forced into a fine save of the campaign by Lowestoft full-back Matt Brown.

Trebes was called upon again to deny Connor Deeks early in the second half before relieved to see a rasping Jacek Zielonka drive skim the top of the crossbar.

While Lowestoft enjoyed much of the possession, they were frequently frustrated by Saints’ discipline and organization without the ball and posed little threat as a result.

Saints came within a whisker of an opening goal as the clocked ticked into the 90th minute when captain Robbie Parker’s free-kick bounced inches wide, but there was still time for them to snatch a dramatic victory.

Wilson pounced on an error from home defender Rossi Jarvis and guided a terrific shot from 25 yards into the bottom corner of the net.

It means Saints are one of five teams to have won their opening two games – Needham Market, Leiston, Biggleswade and Kettering are the others.

Their next outing is this Saturday at Redditch, who are one of five sides yet to collect a point this season.