Table-topping St Ives Ladies are hottest shots in the East
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Ladies 1sts became the highest scorers in the East Women’s League when extending their perfect start to the season.
The Division Two North-West table-toppers recorded a sixth successive victory when seeing off City of Peterborough 2nds 5-0 despite having four regular players missing.
Captain Helen Clarke laid on the opening goal for Naomi Chalkley before doubling the lead herself with a powerful strike from a penalty corner. They had the match won by the break as Abby Scarrow fired into the corner of the net for a third goal before Chalkley deflected in her second of the game.
Clarke added the only goal of the second half after being picked out by a Carly MacDonald cross.
Saints’ 38-goal tally is the highest of any ladies side in the entire East Women’s League. Only one male team – Plashet 1sts – have scored more with 39 goals to their name.
You may also want to watch:
Vicky Leighton struck twice as St Ives Ladies 2nds drew 3-3 with Bourne Deeping 1sts in Division Four North-West (South) while the 3rds also shared the spoils in a 1-1 deadlock against Bury St Edmunds 1sts at that level. Emily Skidmore was the St Ives goalscorer.
Only one St Ives men’s side – the 3rds – managed a positive result as they drew 4-4 with City of Peterborough 7ths in Division Four North-West of the East Men’s League.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity