TABLE TENNIS: Talents from across the country shine at the Hunts 2 Star Tournament
- Credit: Archant
The venue for the Hunts 2 Star Tournament might have changed, but the high standard of play certainly remains the same.
The annual event, previously held at One Leisure in St Ives, was staged at the new Huntingdon Table Tennis Club, based at Ermine Street Church Academy, Alconbury Weald, for the first time recently.
Promising local talent, such as 15 year-old Louis Roper-Gibbs, who narrowly missed out on a place in the Under 21 Men’s final, took on classy competition from around the country.
The Middlesex-based Hee brothers, Joseph and Ben, were stars of the junior competitions while Bedfordshire man Mitchell Jones claimed his first open titles at senior level with a double.
“I was worried that downsizing the venue would have a detrimental effect on the tournament as we had to limit the entries on senior day to 40 for the main events, but the brand new school turned out to be a fantastic venue and it was a great success,” said Huntingdon Table Tennis Club secretary Sarah Toyn.
You may also want to watch:
“The idea now is that we will have a series of tournaments each season rather than one big event.”
* Huntingdon Table Tennis Club (which was formerly known as Great Stukeley TTC) is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays (6pm to 10pm) for public play. Bats and balls provided.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
HUNTS 2 STAR TOURNAMENT RESULTS
U21 Men: Louis Rogove (Herts) bt Cacherel Mercer (Middx) 10,7,5.
U21 Women: Lois Perryman (Kent) bt Mya Sultan (Middx) 9,3,6.
Junior Boys: Joseph Hee (Middx) bt Benjamin Hee (Middx) -9,5,4,5.
Junior Girls: Mya Sultan (Middx) bt Lois Perryman (Kent) 8,-4,1,-2,11.
Cadet Boys: Benjamin Hee (Middx) beat Daniel Hearne-Potton (Cambs) 6,11,8.
Cadet Girls: Raquel Sao Pedro (Beds) bt Millie Rogove (Herts) -10,-7,10,7,6.
Men’s Singles: Mitchell Jones (Beds) bt Rory Scott (W Sussex) 7,2,0.
Men’s Band 2: Mitchell Jones (Beds) bt Rory Scott (W Sussex) 6,5,6.
Veteran’s Singles: Rory Scott (W Sussex) bt Ryan Stockham (Warwicks) 6,7,-9,6.
Women’s Singles: 1 Carrie Cope (Cambs), 2 Jasmine Chan (Middx).
Women’s Band 1: 1 Carrie Cope (Cambs), 2 Lynne Trussell (Sussex).