Suffolk pack too much of a punch for Huntingdonshire sides
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdonshire suffered heavy home defeats in two English Bowling Federation inter-county competitions last Saturday.
The locals were only able to provide one winning rink in both a 146-193 reverse in the Adams Trophy and a 129-87 loss in the Newton Trophy against traditionally strong Suffolk sides.
Hunts trailed throughout the Adams Trophy clash at Brampton where Warboys man Ian McWhinney skipped the only victorious trio, which also featured clubmate Richard Stevens and Peter Reason of Hemingfords.
The rinks skipped by Malcolm Dudley (Hemingfords) and Kevin Bowers (Sawtry) slipped to narrow defeats by one and three shots respectively, but those of Tom Swannell (Warboys), Robert Jepson (St Ives) and James Bowers (Sawtry) were all beaten emphatically.
It was an almost identical story at St Ives in the Newton Trophy clash.
You may also want to watch:
Barry Stevens (Warboys) was the triumphant Hunts skipper there while Rob Bradshaw (St Ives) and Alan Blackley (Needingworth) just lost out.
Both Hunts teams are away to North Cambs this Saturday.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Hunts 146, Suffolk 193 – Hunts rinks: Richard Stevens (Warboys)/Peter Reason (Hemingfords)/Ian McWhinney (Warboys) won 30-20; David Peak (Hemingfords)/Tony Chapman (Hemingfords)/Malcolm Dudley (Hemingfords) lost 25-26; Colin Bates (Papworth)/Richard Fisher (Papworth)/Kevin Bowers (Sawtry) lost 28-31; Phil Swannell (Somersham)/John Hignett (Buckden)/Tom Swannell (Warboys) lost 24-36; Trevor Dighton (Godmanchester)/Kevin Ward (Hemingfords)/Robert Jepson (St Ives) lost 19-38; Derek Rose (Warboys), John Mitchley (Hemingfords)/James Bowers (Sawtry) lost 20-42.
Hunts 129, Suffolk 187 – Hunts rinks: Sam Sallis (Warboys)/Brian Johnson (Papworth)/Barry Stevens (Warboys) won 31-25; Ray Woodward (Hemingfords)/Andy Townsend (Hemingfords)/Rob Bradshaw (St Ives) lost 27-29; Peter Hutchinson (Needingworth)/Brian McCormick (Ramsey)/Alan Blackley (Needingworth) lost 22-25; Doug Urwin (Sawtry)/Keith Minnett (Sawtry)/Ian Hamilton (Sawtry) lost 14-29; Adrian Cossey (Huntingdon)/Richard Jolly (Godmanchester)/Richard Coles (Ramsey) lost 20-26; David Gould (Hemingfords)/Mervyn Rossin (Hemingfords)/John Waine (Hemingfords) lost 15-43.