CAMBS & HUNTS PREMIER LEAGUE CRICKET: Terrific transformation takes Huntingdon & District into top spot; skipper Haycock steers St Ives to success with half-century
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon & District swept to the Whiting & Partners Division Two summit yesterday as their scorching Cambs & Hunts Premier League form continued.
Navid Ahmed’s men reeled off a fifth successive victory when seeing off Blunham by five wickets to rise into pole position – a remarkable rise after losing their first four outings of 2018.
Skipper Ahmed (3-38) was the pick of the bowlers as his side dismissed their visitors for 120 before Faisal Javed (65) continued his fine form with the bat during their successful chase.
“Considering the poor start we had, we could never have expected to be top before the mid-point of the season,” said Ahmed. “It’s been a great team effort with everyone doing their bit and taking responsibility.
“We’re just taking things one game at a time and focusing on picking up the results we need. They’ve been coming for the past few weeks and hopefully they will continue if we keep backing and celebrating the success of each other.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve managed to build up momentum and need to keep it going.”
St Ives breezed to a second consecutive win yesterday when triumphing by nine wickets at Thriplow.
- 1 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 4 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 7 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 8 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 9 'Glad to see an end to 2020' - Anne-Marie Hamilton
- 10 Police investigation closed into deaths of two men in Hunts village
Shaun Asplin (3-28) spearheaded a smart bowling performance as they dismissed their hosts for just 116. Matt Dack finished off the innings with 2-0 from four balls.
Captain Jack Haycock (53) then hit a half-century to lead his side to success while youngster Jack Ranganathan carried his bat for 43.
CAMBS & HUNTS PREMIER LEAGUE
Whiting & Partners Division Two
HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT beat BLUNHAM by 5 wkts
Blunham 120 (N. Ahmed 3-38).
Huntingdon & District 124-5 (F. Javed 65).
THRIPLOW lost to ST IVES by 9 wkts
Thriplow 116 (S. Asplin 3-28).
St Ives 117-1 (J. Haycock 53, J. Ranganathan 43no).