ATHLETICS: Richard Phelan to the ‘four’ as Hunts AC enjoy medal success at Eastern Masters Championships
- Credit: Archant
Richard Phelan was a Hunts AC medal marvel in the Eastern Masters Championships last weekend.
Phelan claimed two golds and two silvers as he starred in the M55 category in Southend.
His successes arrived in the pole vault and high jump, winning the former event with a championship record-equalling 3.20m effort and then producing a 1.45pm in the latter discipline.
Phelan was also runner-up in the long jump (courtesy of a 4.82m leap) and the triple jump (where he flew out to 10.22m).
Phelan was not along in tasting success as three of his Hunts AC clubmates were also among the medals.
You may also want to watch:
In fact Martin Gardner collected a full set in the M40 category where he took gold in the high jump, silver in discus and bronze in the shot putt.
Bob Ellingham was in fine form in the M50 throws. He triumphed in the hammer with a season’s best 42.82m (which consolidates his third place in the national rankings) and then claimed silver in the discus.
- 1 New griddle restaurant opens in St Neots
- 2 Man from Alconbury sentenced for sexual assault
- 3 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 4 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 5 Do you remember the old cinemas in Huntingdonshire?
- 6 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 7 Godmanchester Mill River Enhancement project starts in May
- 8 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 9 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 10 Barley Mow pub in Hartford to open on Friday
Yinka Opaleye sped to 100m victory in 12.5 seconds in the M45 bracket.
Hunts AC have waved a fond farewell to one of their most successful young athletes.
Joey Croft has departed for America to begin a four-year track scholarship at the McNeese State University in Louisiana.
Croft won two English Schools’ Championship medals – the second of which was earlier this summer – and set 11 club records during six years in Hunts AC colours after joining at the age of 12.