ATHLETICS: Farrant flies to Loughborough success during a fine weekend for BRJ
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon BRJ runners enjoyed success across four counties last weekend.
Rob Farrant was the local club’s star performer as he powered to victory in the Loughborough Half-Marathon in a time of 1:20.08.
He dominated the Leicestershire event to triumph by more than a minute from the runner-up.
BRJ’s evergreen husband and wife duo both enjoyed age-group glory at the Sandy 10-mile race in Bedfordshire.
David Newton clocked 1:15.26 to triumph in the MV70 section and wife Annette was the leading finisher at FV65 level in 1:21.28.
Hanna Brickell was the fastest BRJ runner there in 1:15.00 to finish as the 10th female.
Melanie Wiffin (1:16.03), Jane Roberts (1:20.20), Amanda Roland-Convey (1:21.46), Michael Shaw (1:24.06), Claire Ashton (1:24.24), Rosalind Innes (1:24.458) and Gerard Baker (1:32.21) also ran at Sandy.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 6 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 7 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 8 Christmas Light Switch On's are back this year
- 9 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 10 This week's Readers Photos
And there was also a healthy contingent of BRJ runners at the Lincoln 10k event which attracted a field of more than 4,500 competitors.
John Uff led them home in 33.33 to take 18th position overall while James Orrell was an impressive 57th in a personal best of 36.29. Cy Gearing also finished in the top-100 when crossing the line in 87th place in 37.36.
Shelley Duffy produced a new best of 39.30 to finish as the 10th female. She was also third in the FV40 section on a day when her son, Keelan (16), finished hot on her heels in a 39.43 best of his own.
Two BRJ youngsters made a splash in the Basildon Aquathlon.
Freya Harris triumphed in the Tristar 1 Girls category at the Essex swim/run event as she finished 18 seconds clear of her closest challenger.
Clubmate Dominic Pauley enjoyed a pleasing debut in the Tristar 3 section as he finished fourth. Pauley only missed out on a podium place by eight seconds.