WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: St Ives Town Ladies’ best performance of the season earns a fine point
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies picked up a precious point in their Eastern Region Women’s League survival battle last Sunday.
Darren Marjoram's side produced their finest performance of a difficult debut Premier Division season to draw 2-2 with unbeaten table-toppers Harlow Town Ladies at Westwood Road.
Saints were already without four regular players when they lost Hannah Seymour-Shove to illness only an hour before kick-off, but they gave an excellent account of themselves.
They spent much of the first half under pressure but one of their rare attacking forays featured a terrific opening goal from player-of-the-match Ruth Fox who blasted in from 20 yards.
Their advantage was wiped out on the stroke of half-time when they failed to deal with a corner and St Ives then fell behind on the hour with the high-flying Harlow side again piling on the pressure in the second period.
You may also want to watch:
But Saints refused to roll over and clawed their way back onto level terms late on when Caitlin McGeown forced a mistake, intercepted a weak back-pass and finished coolly to ensure they became only the second team to take a point off Harlow all season.
Third-bottom Saints are now five points clear of the drop-zone with the two teams below them - Haringey Borough and AFC Dunstable - yet to win this season.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 3 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 4 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
Saints now host Haringey in a crucial home clash this Sunday, 2pm.