Strong words from the boss do the trick
United Counties League Division One Huntingdon Town 2 Irchester United 0 A GOAL in each half gave Town an important victory at Jubilee Park. Manager Paul Swannell persevered with his 4-4-1-1 formation, with Ryan Francis supporting Luke Weston, and it pai
United Counties League Division One
Huntingdon Town 2 Irchester United 0
A GOAL in each half gave Town an important victory at Jubilee Park.
Manager Paul Swannell persevered with his 4-4-1-1 formation, with Ryan Francis supporting Luke Weston, and it paid dividends when Town took the lead inside five minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Billy Tumblety netted from the spot after Francis's shot was cleared off the line and cannoned off a defender's arm.
The home side continued to press, but their play became scrappy as the half wore on, and it needed some harsh words from Swannell to kick-start the team.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
Town emerged from the dressing room a changed side and pressed home their advantage. They wrapped up the victory on 71 minutes when Luke Weston drilled home from the edge of the box.
Nineteen-year-old Adam Collins made his debut in midfield and turned in an excellent display, staking his claim for a starting position.
There could have been more goals for Town and Paul Turner shaved the post in the closing stages following good work from Alan Haine.
Manager Swannell said: "We were flying for the first 15 minutes but the lads took their foot off the gas towards the end of the first half and I said some strong words at half time."
Town will be looking to build on their victory when they travel to Rothwell Corinthians on Saturday.
League Cup 1st Round
Northampton Spencer 2 Huntingdon Town 1
TOWN put up a good fight but slipped out of the cup to Premier League leaders Northampton Spencer, with Alan Haine and Luke Weston impressing.
Despite their endeavours Town conceded after 71 minutes through a free kick from Zac Nedimovic and then a scrambled goal from a corner on 80 minutes extended Spencer's lead.
Billy Tumblety netted a late penalty for Town as they pushed forward.