Stefan Gawin completes sculling hat trick for St Ives Rowing Club
THERE may have been a smaller than normal contingent of rowers from the St Ives club competing at the Cambridge Autumn regatta this year, but the wins just kept on coming.
Traditionally, Cambridge Autumn regatta is St Ives Rowing Club’s last regatta of the summer season – before it switches to the longer ‘head’ time trial races of the winter season, so with only four scullers entered, expectations were pretty low as they travelled to the meeting on Sunday.
The four competitors – Stefan Gawin, Luke Watson, Oliver Robinson and Gary Gilbey – were entered into five events with juniors Gawin and Watson in the novice double race as well as their regular junior 16 double.
The pair looked strong in all of their heats, winning each race convincingly, while Robinson and Gilbey were both knocked out of their competitions in the semi-finals.
This left to door wide open for the two juniors to show the seniors how it’s done – and they did not disappoint.
In their first final the novice double, the pair won by one and a half lengths, and an hour later, they won the junior 16 double final before Gawin completed a personal hat trick in the junior 16 single race.
- 1 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 2 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 3 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 4 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 7 Two year ban on begging for these six
- 8 Man dies following crash on A1198 near St Ives last month
- 9 Hearings on A428 upgrade are set to resume
- 10 Sawtry Village Academy support 'DOGTOBER' initiative