Stags defeated, Bulls charge to win

Huntingdon Stags go down against Peterborough Lions in their final game while St Ives thrash Thorney.

STAGS’ Midlands Two East South campaign ended in a 33-14 defeat against Peterborough Lions at the Racecourse on Saturday.

The loss sees Stags finish eighth in the 12-team league, two positions higher than last season, after eight wins, a draw and 13 losses.

The visitors had a man red card for referee abuse in the first half, but Stags failed to make that advantage pay, conceding three converted tries to go in 21-0 down at the interval.

A fourth try followed shortly after the re-start but Stags did manage to score two of their own, both to skipper James Thorp, which were converted by Matt Durrant.

Stags continued to apply pressure to the visitors but they held solid, eventually scoring a fifth try on the stroke of full time to take away a comfortable win.

Player-coach Damian Whales said: “We have played some attractive rugby this year, but our away form has let us down a bit.

Most Read

“That meant we didn’t achieve a top half finish, which was a major goal at the start of the season.

“But we have lots of good young players in the first team and are not expecting to lose many over the summer, so that should give us a solid base to work from next season.”

Stags will play a friendly game against a Presidents XV on Sunday, May 1 at the Racecourse to round off their season.

• In Midlands Four East South, St Ives recorded a resounding 56-0 win over strugglers Thorney in the penultimate game of their campaign.

Bulls charged at their opponents from the off and were 7-0 ahead as early as the second minute, with centre Jamie Noble charging over and Stuart Cornwall converting.

Ollie Bartlett, Pete Wood-Eeles, Dave Baker and Emanuel Hovette all filled their boots in a first half that saw Ives take a 27-0 lead and it could have been more emphatic, had all four conversions not been missed.

Into the second half and Nick Borkett’s try - Ives’ sixth of the afternoon - was converted by Jack Bradley to make it 34-0 before Baker scored his second of the afternoon, again converted by Bradley, to extend the lead to 39-0.

Try number eight was scored by Tom Wakerley and the ninth belonged to Russ Warrington, one of which was converted by Bradley.

There was still time for Noble to storm over to cap a resounding win.

One game now remains for St Ives this season, at home against Stamford on Saturday.