RUGBY: Survival boost for Stags after valuable victory against Vipers
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon boosted their survival hopes with a valuable victory last Saturday.
Damien Whales’ bottom side claimed just a third win of the Midlands Division Two East (South) campaign when beating fellow strugglers Vipers 27-21 in a basement battle at The Racecourse.
Tom Morgan, captain Roger Shakespeare and Jack Skidmore all went over for tries in the first half as Stags eased into a 15-0 lead at the break.
Stu Quinn and Barnie West added further scores in the second period with Joe Hicken steering over one conversion in windy conditions.
But Vipers also managed three tries – the last of which arrived in the dying seconds – to secure a bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Stags are still nine points from safety with five games to go as they attempt to avoid a second successive relegation. The first of those fixtures is at home to Long Buckby this Saturday.
St Neots’ slide towards relegation from Midlands Division Three East (South) continued with an eighth successive defeat last weekend.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
Jonnny Berwick’s side were beaten 37-22 at Rushden & Higham and now face another away clash this Saturday when going to Stockwood Park.