Stags aiming to give star duo a winning send-off
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon head coach Damien Whales wants to ensure two of his most influential players leave in style today (Saturday).
Prolific full-back Dan Malem and powerhouse Argentinian flanker Mauro de Almeida will both make their final appearances for Stags in a Midlands Division One East clash against Kettering at The Racecourse, 2.15pm.
Malem, who has racked up more than a century of points for Stags, is off to sample the sport in the Southern Hemisphere after being given the opportunity to play in New Zealand for a season, while de Almeida is returning to his homeland in South America after just over a year with Huntingdon.
Whales said: “It is going to a double farewell and one which will come with mixed emotions.
“We’re all gutted to lose Mauro as he has been absolutely phenomenal in his time with the club, but he feels the time is right to return to his native Argentina.
You may also want to watch:
“On the other hand, we are delighted to see Dan go. In fact we’re envious of the experience he’ll have in New Zealand.
“We’re all focused on giving both guys a fitting send-off with a good performance and result against Kettering.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
“It will be a huge challenge for the squad to cope without two of our key players, but we’ve faced plenty of tests like that this season after suffering so many serious injuries.”
Huntingdon have slipped to sixth in the Midlands Division One East table following a last-gasp 17-16 loss at Ilkeston last Saturday.