Staggerers On Song
RUGBY FRIENDLY Peterborough Vets 12 Huntingdon Staggerers 50 STAGGERERS put on an outstanding performance against the normally ruthless Peterborough Vets to clinch a convincing win. Stags just about held their own against a much heavier pack at set pieces
Peterborough Vets 12 Huntingdon Staggerers 50
STAGGERERS put on an outstanding performance against the normally ruthless Peterborough Vets to clinch a convincing win.
Stags just about held their own against a much heavier pack at set pieces but it was in open play and at the breakdown where Stags won the game.
Ttries came thick and fast with Stags crossing the line no less than five times. Barnaby Perks, Dave Drago, Stuart Gramage, Chris Cobber and Graham Peigton all put their names on the score sheet and Gramage was on target with four successful conversions.
At half time, leading 33-7, Stags knew the game was secure and got off to a dream start when Paul Butterfield loped down the touch line eluding several tackles to score near the corner.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 7 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 10 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
The second half was less free-flowing. Stags made several good breaks and full back Barnard covered the ground well mopping up Peterborough's wayward kicking. Stags were only able to cross the line twice more with Check securing his hat-trick.
The hosts were gifted their sole second half score, when a clearance kick was blown back almost over the Stags defence setting up a soft home try.
Stags' last try under the posts gave Gramage an easy conversion to secure the well deserved win.