St Neots youngsters retain league title
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Golf Club youngsters have won the Cambridgeshire Inter-Club League for the second year running to retain their status as the strongest junior golf squad in the county.
Nine teams from across Cambridgeshire contested three divisions of three teams, with St Neots, Saffron Walden and Ely City battling for the A League and overall County Championship crown.
St Neots came out on top again, with Saffron Walden runners up and Ely relegated to next year’s B league by a narrow margin.
Saints’ captain Josh Gore led by example as he emerged with a perfect win record in all of his matches and the team was completed by Owen Meeds, Joe Gore, Aron Kumar, Morgan Tritton, Nathan Brown, Owen Dixon, Ollie Broome and David McCaig.
Junior organiser Andy Gore said: “I congratulate this talented group of juniors on their victory.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a great achievement for them to retain the league championship.
“They have been a credit to themselves and the club all season.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
Meeds, meanwhile, won a three-hole play-off to lift the St Neots Golf Club Junior title. He grossed 78 in the morning round and 72 in the afternoon to force the winner-takes-all play-off with Aron Kumar (75, 75).
A second hole birdie by Aron made it all square going into the 18th, but Owen made his birdie at the last and wound up the winner by two shots.
Tritton took the girls’ scratch prize from Chloe Neal.