St Neots' Vase bid up and running with Old Boys win
St Neots 26-11 Stoke Old Boys --- ST NEOTS opened their RFU Junior Vase campaign with a convincing win at home to Coventry-based outfit Stoke Old Boys. The visitors started aggressively, their heavyweight pack attempting to batter the Saints defensive l
St Neots 26-11 Stoke Old Boys ---
ST NEOTS opened their RFU Junior Vase campaign with a convincing win at home to Coventry-based outfit Stoke Old Boys.
The visitors started aggressively, their heavyweight pack attempting to batter the Saints' defensive line into submission, but Saints were equal to the task. Old Boys failed to cross the try line but did convert a brace of penalties after their strong start.
The home side worked their way back into the game and Adam Hanley provided Saints' riposte, touching down under the posts after centre Adam Peel's defence-splitting run and offload. Lewis Hall added Saints' conversion for a 7-6 lead at the interval.
You may also want to watch:
Fly-half Adam Porter, St Neots man of the match, scored a try after the break to extend the lead and Hall again added the extras.
Old Boys replied with a try of their own, their fly-half breaching the hosts' otherwise solid defence.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
The home side began to stamp their authority on the game and scored again when Hall chased his own chip to score in the corner. Peel breached the defence again, and Hall added the points to complete the scoreline.