St Neots Town squad starting to take shape for next season
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town manager David Batch is beginning to assemble his squad for next season.
The Saints boss is in the process of holding individual discussions with all current players after the club were pipped to promotion in agonising fashion.
St Neots were beaten 1-0 by Truro nine days ago when on the receiving end of a hotly-disputed penalty decision in the Southern League Premier Division Play-Off Final.
St Neots have five players – defenders Adam Tann, Tom Ward and Jack Wilkinson, and forwards Nathan Frater and Lee Clarke – already under contract for 2015/16.
Batch said: “I need to have conversations with all the players and that is something currently happening.
You may also want to watch:
“It is inevitable there will be three or four lads leaving the club for various reasons.
“There are also two or three positions we are looking to strengthen and we will be focusing on those.
- 1 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
“We have five lads already under contract for next season and I have pretty much agreed terms with two or three others.”
Batch is preparing for his first full season at the helm after arriving in late December, 2014.
There was a clean sweep for top scorer Drew Roberts at the club’s awards night.
Roberts left in possession of four trophies after taking the Supporters’ Player of the Year, Players’ Player of the Year and Manager’s Player of the Year gongs in addition to the leading goalscorer prize for finding the net 30 times in league and cup action.
There was also a special award to Marian Izzard who was rewarded for a 22-year association with the Saints with a life vice presidency.
John Walker was made life president back in January after racking up 50 years of service.
Other award winners:
St Neots Under 18s: Players’ Player – Chris Lewis. Manager’s Player – Alfie Ball. Leading scorer – Chris Lewis.
St Neots Youth & Saints: Players’ Player – Dan Hobbs. Leading scorer – Dan Hobbs.
Clubman of the Year: Rowan Presland.