St Neots Town go top as St Ives maintain cup momentum

ON a busy Tuesday night, St Neots Town went top of the Southern League Division One Central table while St Ives Town and Godmanchester Rovers both booked places in the semi finals of cup competitions.

ST Neots Town went top of the Southern League Division One Central table on Tuesday night when they beat Daventry Town 2-0 at The Hunts Post Community Stadium.

Dan Jacob and Ben Mackey were the goalscorers as Dennis Greene’s team took advantage of one of their two games in hand over Slough Town who they have now leapfrogged with a better goal difference.

Slough face Daventry themselves on Saturday before the Northamptonshire side host St Neots at their Communication Park ground next Tuesday night.

“Everyone’s buzzing and we just have to keep going,” said Greene. “We have gone top at a good time and now the aim is to stay there.

“It was a tough game against Daventry - we had to battle hard against the wind but they only had one or two shots.

“It can be a bit edgy though when you are only 2-0 up.”

Most Read

Jacob opened the scoring, despite playing at left back, while striker Mackey got his fourth goal in just four days following his hat trick on Saturday in the Saints’ 3-3 home draw with Burnham.

The former Corby striker Mackey has now scored 11 goals in 11 games since joining St Neots in December.

Also on Tuesday St Ives Town beat Bugbrooke St Michaels 5-1 to book their place in the semi finals of the United Counties League Cup.

Eighteen-year-old striker George Tolliday scored his first two senior goals to cap an excellent performance by a side still celebrating after their progression to the quarter finals of the FA Vase with that brilliant 4-0 win over Gresley on Saturday.

Managers Jez Hall and Warren Everdell gave some of the team that won that game the night off but included 19-year-old hot shot Conor Washington in the starting 11. In the second half the duo made three further chances, giving Tolliday, who was a recent signing from Newmarket Town, his chance in the spotlight.

However, it was the United Counties Division One side Bugbrooke who broke through first. St Ives’ goalkeeper Niall Conroy-Owen blamed the bumpy Westwood Road pitch when his early attempted clearance from a back pass turned into an air shot.

“That was unfortunate to be fair, but it seemed to wake the team up and they were excellent after that,” said Hall.

Defender Will Fordham grabbed the equaliser before Washington struck to make it 2-1. In the second half Ozie Foster got the third before Tolliday finished the job off with two well-taken goals.

“It was good to be able to give some of the younger players at the club a chance,” added the joint manager.

St Ives will now meet fellow Premier Division side Holbeach United in their semi final but a date for that game has yet to be finalised.

Elsewhere, Godmanchester Rovers also booked a semi-final place when they beat Debenham at their Leisure Centre ground in Suffolk.

Paul Bass, James Hall and Mike Hyem scored the Goddy goals in the 3-2 Eastern Counties Division One Cup win.

There was also an interesting result in Division One of the United Counties League. Wellingborough Whitworth beat leaders Harborough Town 2-1 to do second-placed Huntingdon Town a real favour.

Before the game Ricky Marheineke’s side were two points behind Harborough who had a game in hand. Now Harborough are two points ahead without that game in hand cushion and they still have Huntingdon to play...