St Neots teams top new junior badminton league
A NEW junior Cambridgeshire badminton league has been launched to boost the sport s appeal across the region. The league has been organised by coaches Neil and Helen Critchell, and kicked off with over 100 players enjoying a full day of competition at Lin
A NEW junior Cambridgeshire badminton league has been launched to boost the sport's appeal across the region.
The league has been organised by coaches Neil and Helen Critchell, and kicked off with over 100 players enjoying a full day of competition at Linton Village College on Saturday.
By the end of the day's 216 games, St Neots Junior Badminton Club came out on top in the first division at U14 and U18 level, though they were run close by Sawtry Village College and Linton Badminton Furies.
"The first day of the league has been very successful for us, with many players getting their first taste of the sport, and a high standard of play from those with more experience," said Helen.
"We believe that with the challenge of playing in a regular competitive environment, youngsters improve their play and therefore become more ambitious and driven," said Helen.
"The league has been set up to create a credible progression route and strong regular competition for keen junior badminton players across the county. We have had 27 teams enter the U14 and U18 leagues, from eight-year-olds who have only been playing for a year or so, through to county standard players."
- 1 Ramsey fire-fighters refill Horse Pond with water to save fish
- 2 Principal at St Ivo Academy 'so proud' of students A-level achievements
- 3 Hinchingbrooke School receive improved A-Level results
- 4 Abbey College students celebrate 'fantastic' set of A-Level results
- 5 Longsands Sixth Form students celebrating 'fantastic' A-level results
- 6 Nearly half of Kimbolton students receive A or A* grades in A-level results
- 7 Pub regulars celebrate life of former landlord who died during pandemic
- 8 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results
- 9 Sawtry Village Academy 'incredibly proud' of all Sixth Form students
- 10 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
The league is split into U14 or U18 level, with teams of four players of any combination of girls and boys. The matches will take place at day-long events at sports halls across the county: Wisbech on December 5, CRC Sports Centre on January 16, and Kimbolton School on February 13.