St Neots lead the chase for Godmanchester goal machine
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town have swooped for hot-shot striker Tom Meechan.
Boss David Batch confirmed an offer has been made for a player who slammed in 51 goals for Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division runners-up and Hunts Senior Cup winners Godmanchester last term.
Highly-rated Meechan is under contract with Rovers, who play two levels below the Southern League Premier Division Saints, for another season and will therefore command a transfer fee.
Batch admitted: “I would be stupid not to be interested in a striker who scored the amount of goals that Tom did last season.
“It is no secret that we have gone in for Tom and we are currently awaiting confirmation on whether or not our offer is good enough.
“They will obviously want to get the best offer they possibly can whereas we are keen to strike a sensible deal.”
Batch is also hopeful of further transfer activity being completed in the coming days as he puts the finishing touches to a squad bidding to erase the bitter disappointment of a controversial play-off final defeat last term.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
He is in the market for at least one new goalkeeper after veteran Paul Bastock was released at the end of last season.
Batch is also thought to keen on adding a couple more outfield targets before the official start of pre-season training on June 23.
Batch added: “We know the players we want to bring in and I’m expecting the next week to be a significant one in terms of recruitment.
“We are in a position where all the ducks are lined up in a row and it is just a case of waiting for little things to fall into place.”
St Neots appear to face competition to land Meechan, who appeared for Cambridge United’s development side and also had a trial with Scottish Championship outfit Alloa during last season.
Newly-elected Godmanchester chairman Karly Hurst confirmed: “We have had plenty of interest and a couple of offers for Tom.
“We will get together in the coming days to decide what is best for Tom and the club.”