St Neots lead the chase for Godmanchester goal machine
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town have swooped for hot-shot striker Tom Meechan.
Boss David Batch confirmed an offer has been made for a player who slammed in 51 goals for Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division runners-up and Hunts Senior Cup winners Godmanchester last term.
Highly-rated Meechan is under contract with Rovers, who play two levels below the Southern League Premier Division Saints, for another season and will therefore command a transfer fee.
Batch admitted: “I would be stupid not to be interested in a striker who scored the amount of goals that Tom did last season.
“It is no secret that we have gone in for Tom and we are currently awaiting confirmation on whether or not our offer is good enough.
You may also want to watch:
“They will obviously want to get the best offer they possibly can whereas we are keen to strike a sensible deal.”
Batch is also hopeful of further transfer activity being completed in the coming days as he puts the finishing touches to a squad bidding to erase the bitter disappointment of a controversial play-off final defeat last term.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
He is in the market for at least one new goalkeeper after veteran Paul Bastock was released at the end of last season.
Batch is also thought to keen on adding a couple more outfield targets before the official start of pre-season training on June 23.
Batch added: “We know the players we want to bring in and I’m expecting the next week to be a significant one in terms of recruitment.
“We are in a position where all the ducks are lined up in a row and it is just a case of waiting for little things to fall into place.”
St Neots appear to face competition to land Meechan, who appeared for Cambridge United’s development side and also had a trial with Scottish Championship outfit Alloa during last season.
Newly-elected Godmanchester chairman Karly Hurst confirmed: “We have had plenty of interest and a couple of offers for Tom.
“We will get together in the coming days to decide what is best for Tom and the club.”