St Neots III move into final
RUGBY UNION Greene King Country Cup Semi-Final St Neots III 17 Harlow II 11 SAINTS achieved another milestone at the weekend when they gained a place in the final of the Deuxieme Plate in the third year of the competition. Their visitors came with a stron
Greene King Country Cup Semi-Final
St Neots III 17 Harlow II 11
SAINTS achieved another milestone at the weekend when they gained a place in the final of the Deuxieme Plate in the third year of the competition.
Their visitors came with a strong reputation and the semi-final game was anticipated to be a battle of wits and strength to which the large supporting crowd were not to be disappointed.
St Neots opened the scoring through a Lewis Hall try and conversion but Harlow responded with a try and two penalties to arrive at half time in the lead 11-7. However, as has been the trademark of the team during the season, the half-time talk by captain Dave Medlow was all that was needed to inspire the Saints team.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager has plans for 2022
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 5 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 6 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 7 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
In a dynamic 40 minutes the hosts laid siege to the visitors' line and gained their just rewards.
Dean Lofty always looked dangerous with a series of surging runs, while hard midfield tackling by Lewis Hall kept Saints on top.
Coupled with energetic running by Mick Muston and the good work of the Rook brothers - Steve and Neil - St Neots' number eight Phil Ferney ran in two unconverted tries to seal a place in the final.
St Neots now have two teams in finals of the Plate competitions - both to be held at Upper Clapton Rugby Club, near Harlow, on Saturday April 27.
St Neots II face Bishop's Stortford IV, while the third's reward for the Harlow win is a match against Hitchin III.
A coach will be running to take players and supporters to the games and anyone interested in coming along should contact club captain Mike Kirby on 07916356218.