St Neots are dealing with expectations - Webb

ST NEOTS captain Lewis Webb thinks recent defeats will have given the players the “kick up the backside” they needed.

Last night (Tuesday) the team were in action against Rugby Town at the Hunts Post Community Stadium – and they went into that game on the back of two successive defeats.

But Webb said those defeats – in the FA Cup at Thurnby Nirvana and in the Southern League at Northwood – had given the players a “boost”

“I know we have had some great results but I don’t think we have really clicked properly yet this season,” he said.

“We know what is expected of us, and there isn’t too much pressure on us to succeed, so we can’t blame that.

“I just feel we haven’t really got going yet – I don’t think you have seen us at our best.”

Webb, at 21, is a young captain. But he speaks well and has been in football since he was a kid. He came through the youth ranks at Peterborough United – and now works there. He also captained their reserves side. He can play in either defence or in midfield.

Most Read

In some ways, he is the ideal candidate to wear the arm band. He will still be hungry to succeed because he still has a chance of climbing the ladder, with or without the Saints.

“We’re not invincible,” he said. “Maybe it’s a good thing that people realise that now.

“We want to win every single match that we play – so maybe the defeats have given us the kick up the backside that we needed. Maybe they have given us a boost!”

After being dumped out of the Cup by Thurnby, the Saints lost 4-1 to Northwood last Saturday.

Stefan Moore slept funny and woke up with a sore neck. He travelled but joined Duran Reynolds on the injury list when he decided he couldn’t play after warming up.

So St Neots manager Dennis Greene was forced to make some last-minute changes and the team went behind 10 minutes in.

Man of the match Dan Jacob equalised soon after but the within seconds the hosts had scored their second goal. It was 3-1 by the break.

Aaron Greene, the manager’s nephew, and Jordan Gent came on in the second half, but, despite chances for Jacob and Shane Tolley, it was Northwood who added to the total, making it 4-1 on the day.

“That result definitely opened up our eyes,” said Webb.

n A report from last night’s game against Rugby Town will be available at today (Wednesday).