St Ives Town’s Vase game moved forward a week
ST Ives Town’s big FA Vase game against Gresley will now to be played next Saturday, February 18, after it was called off on Thursday with the club’s Westwood Road pitch still under a couple of inches of snow.
After an official from the FA had inspected the pitch and decided it would not be playable, the United Counties Premier Division club’s secretary Simon Clark said: “It is very frustrating for everyone concerned that we have had to postpone Saturday’s match.
“While the snow can be cleared off the pitch, the ground underneath is frozen therefore making it dangerous. It is important that player and officials safety is taken into consideration at times like these.”
As the Vase takes precedence over any other competition, the game was automatically scheduled for the following Saturday, and if snow or ice once again means a postponement then, the game will be pencilled in for the following Saturday – and the Saturday after that until it is played.
This is the fourth out of five years that St Ives have reached the last 16 of the national competition.
You may also want to watch:
All other games involving Huntingdonshire sides were also called off this weekend – though Southern League side St Neots Town did manage to organise a friendly with United Counties side Blackstones, which they played on their 3G all-weather pitch at the club’s Hunts Post Community Stadium.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need