St Ives Town Ladies sparkle during successful start
- Credit: Archant
A new era of female football started in successful style on Sunday as St Ives Town Ladies triumphed in their first-ever game.
Sasha Smith and Georgia Rebane found the net with first-half goals to earn a 2-0 victory over Leicester City Ladies’ development squad in a friendly clash at ProEdge Westwood Road.
Manager Darren Marjoram said: “It was fantastic to start with a win, but I was most pleased with the attitude and approach of the players.
“They stuck together and encouraged each other for the full 90 minutes and I’m proud of every single of them.
“We have received unbelievable support from the club and it was great to see board members and first-team manager Ricky Marheineke present on Sunday.
“With approximately 120 people turning out to watch it proved the decision to create the team is a good one.
“We’re all now looking forward to the start of our league season on September 13.”
- 1 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 2 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 5 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Roman Crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 8 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 9 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
St Ives Town Ladies: Kira Markwell, Drew Jenkins, Phoebe Webb, Holly Knott, Laura Bevins, Mollie Flack, Georgia Stancombe, Hannah Seymour-Shove, Sasha Smith, Georgia Rebane, Penelope Ford. Subs: Amy Seymour-Shove, Charlene Martin, Tierney Poore, Connie Liddiard, Megan Webb.